Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Encouraging words in an unexpected place

I took the children to Dollar Tree yesterday to let them pick out some balloons and gifts as a part of my Aunt Brenda's belated birthday gift. Now, going anywhere with my five children ages 7 and under is a feat, but I think that I am finally getting used to it. I've been mommy to 5 for five months now. But we made it in, found our gifts and balloons, and proceeded to check out.


Well, the young man who was running the cash register at the store was probably about 19 or 20. He had a very cheerful attitude, and said to me, “Are all these beautiful children yours?” I said, “Yes”. He then said to me, “Is this all you have or do you have more?” I responded, “This is all I have, so far”. His response was very surprising. He said, “So far? That's what I like to hear”. As I was leaving he said to me, “God bless you for having all these beautiful children”.


I walked away so surprised. It was great to not get the typical, “You've got your hands full!!” I was in shock for a while. Hearing encouraging words from a young man at the dollar store was the last place I would have expected, but it was very refreshing. I thank the LORD for pleasant surprises in unexpected places.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shane Bradley said...

Joi forgot to mention that the dollar store is her favorite place to shop.

3:30 PM

 
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Joi I understand I love the dollar store too. I am so excited because we are getting a brand new one about two miles from my house!!!

11:44 AM

 
Blogger Jasmine Baucham said...

That does sound like a pleasant surprise, Miss Joi! What a blessing!

12:33 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen said...

Love this story...I had a similar experience in WMart the other day--as I was talking to my friend with her 5 boys...9 kids around us and an older lady stopped and counted the heads and said, "That's wonderful!" My friend and I were stunned and blessed.

10:12 AM

 
Blogger AJ said...

Joi Did I ever say that I enjoy reading your blog? It is the only blog that I read and I think I learned how to post comments!

10:17 PM

 
Blogger Tina said...

What an encouragement. What an amazing reminder of the power of words. Even though I think those things, I'm sure I don't say them like I should.

7:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors since May 2006: